database driven content management system websites
CMS Development Services
As a freelance CMS developer, I provide custom CMS development services from scratch with PHP & MySQL.
I also build content management solutions through WordPress CMS development.
Best CMS Options for My Clients
There are many options to develop a content management system for your website project. I have worked with and reviewed many over the years. Currently I work with two types of content management systems.
WordPress is the most popular open source CMS website solution with tens of millions websites built with it. For an experienced developer, custom WordPress development is “easy”. Most websites I build I are created with WordPress (all of my websites are all built with WordPress). It can be customized with infinite features and functionality and is a great website solution for most website projects. Read more about WordPress web development services I offer.
Sometimes WordPress can be overkill for a project. Other times it would be more effort to make the needed project functionality work in WordPress so I offer a custom CMS solution. With a custom website, content manage tools are build to match your exact content needs.
Custom CMS vs WordPress
Which one is the best solution for you? Well, it depends. I can’t answer this question until I hear details of what you want to build. Usually there are a few reasons that I will recommend a custom database solution over a customized WordPress website.
- I may make a recommendation to build a custom CMS when it would be more complicated for me (and more expensive for you) to integrate your unique project requirements into WordPress rather then custom website development.
- You only need a simple CMS for your website. I may make a recommendation to create a custom CMS for you if you have very specific functionality needed and do not need all of the bells and whistles built into WordPress.
- WordPress requires some ongoing maintenance. Sometimes my clients don’t want to deal with this. WordPress requires ongoing maintenance to keep the code and your website secure. Custom websites are not as prone to getting hacked as WordPress is. This is not because WordPress is not secure, but because there are so many millions of websites that run WordPress. This makes it easier for hackers to exploit many websites quickly when a vulnerability is found. You can read more about WordPress security and maintenance here.
A web content management system (also referred to as a CMS) is a type of web application that enables you to manage the content that displays on your website. Content is stored in a database (often MySQL database) and browser based password protected tools are used to add, edit and delete content without having to edit source code to make changes.
Why Use a Content Management System?
- Once a content management system is built, it makes managing content much easier. You no longer need to directly edit code, but can make changes easily right from your web browser.
- You have control of your website content and can make changes faster. You can edit content whenever you want instead of sending requests to your web developer and waiting for them to get done.
- You can build functionality into your website. Instead of just showing text and images on your website, you can easily add in features like photo galleries, blogs, reporting, shopping carts…