SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization
SEO is the process of optimizing your website code and content so your site ranks higher on the search engine result pages (SERPS) when users are doing search engine queries.
Ideally you want your site to be returned in the #1 spot on the first page. Think about it, how often when you do a search in Google do you even go beyond the first page to find a site that you think will match what you are looking for?
Now you know what SEO stand for, how do you do it?
In the early years of the when Internet became popular for commercial purposes, SEO was pretty simple.
- add meta keywords tags to your page
- “stuff”/list keywords on your page….
Over time, SEO has evolved into a complex system of hundreds of things you can do that will effect your ranking in the search engine results pages. This can be broken down into the following areas
- Technical SEO – how your website is organized, and code implemented ( speed, mobile friendly, internal linking, crawlable)
- Content – adding quality content to your website regularly with keywords that users are searching for and are achievable for you to be able to rank for them. (AKA keyword research
- On page optimization – optimizing individual pages to make sure the structure related aspects match your content. (title, meta tags, headings, images…)
- Off page optimization – building links from other sites to yours.
Each of these areas are a “science” in their own with many web professionals only focusing a specific areas of SEO.
I focus on the technical side of SEO -with keyword research and properly structuring websites code and content.
So to sum it up, SEO stands for search engine optimization, which also means more traffic and potential customers to your website.
Comments are closed.