Web Designer was retiring
I was first contacted by this client because their webmaster/web designer was retiring. They were looking for a new webmaster to take over web hosting services and annual website maintenance. After doing a site review, I recommended rebuilding the website. Code was outdated and would not run on the current version of PHP. As we discusses more, there were other issues to address like mobile friendly design, features that were not working and or lacking and usability issues for their older, non technical members.
We scoped out the requirements in detail and custom coded a new website from the ground up.
Building a custom website from scratch, takes experience to plan and properly execute so it is scalable over time. Adding in migration of many years of data with a large number of members into a new database design complicates the project exponentially.
Some website functionality coded includes:
- Custom coded CMS to manage all content like members, payment, seminar creation and registration, web pages
- Member registration to pay annual dues online with Paypal or check payments
- Various member roles when logged into the website to access different features
- Instructors can submit applications for seminars to teach at the annual event.
- Members can register online for seminars
- Members can buy event tickets with Paypal or check payments
- Numerous reports were created to make management more efficient
- Unique requirements were coded for primary and secondary member relationships
The application was extensively alpha and beta tested. When the site was released live for opening day of online class registrations it was anti -climactic (in a good way!)
The site worked exactly as scoped with no major bugs or problems with new users being able to understand the sign up process.