Can you SEO your site just once?
Did you want to “SEO your site” and thought you could put some keywords on your page and voilà! you’re at the top of Google search results?
Are you learning that it doesn’t work that way and now want to hire someone to SEO your site and be done with it?
Any professional in the field of search engine optimization is going to tell you that’s not how it works. Optimizing your website is a never ending process for multiple reasons.
Is One-Time SEO a thing?
With that said, SEO is not a one time thing, but there are SEO action items that you do once. You can DIY or hire someone for one time SEO services to give your website a kickstart in search engines.
One-time SEO refers to a set of optimizations made to a website once, rather than ongoing SEO efforts that need to be continually monitored to adapt to changes in search engine algorithms, competitors in your market and content on your website. So it’s just part of the puzzle when it comes to optimization.
For example, when it comes to building a website with WordPress, I include basic WordPress SEO services with any new website. This includes things needing to be done one time like installing and configuring a SEO plugin to be able to manage meta tags, configuring robots.txt and generating and submitting a sitemap when the site is released live.
Will it Optimize My Site So It Shows In Google?
While these one time SEO optimizations are valid, and things that should be done to any website, they won’t necessarily bring positive results in terms of improving keyword ranking in search engines. Many one time SEO tasks are on a very basic level of SEO that should be done on any site. Work done to rank for specific keyword phrase is part of ongoing SEO efforts that are typically a second phase of SEO.
One-time SEO for a Website
Google incorporates several hundred factors to determine how a website ranks in it’s search results. Keywords on a web page are actually a very small part of the whole picture.
There are many different areas of a website that can be optimized.
One-time SEO packages could combine some or all of these:
- Keyword Research: Identifying keyword phrases your site can realistically rank for and will target the right type of users to your site
- Technical SEO services: SEO Audits to identify and fix structural issues, and missing items like sitemaps, creating and configuring robots.txt files…
- On-page SEO optimizations: Optimizing title tags, meta descriptions, header tags, content and images of existing content.
- Website Tracking: Setting up Google Analytics and Google Search Console to track website performance and identify future SEO opportunities.
Is One Time SEO worth it?
While one-time SEO can provide a solid foundation and potentially improve a website’s search engine rankings, it really is just a piece of the puzzle when it comes to building a website that is going to add value to your business and bring new customers to you.
SEO is complex and consists of many different areas that require ongoing work to maintain rankings.
Why you can’t just SEO your site once
- Algorithm Changes :Search engines continually update their algorithms to make search results better for users
- Competition: Your competitors are constantly improving their website SEO, and/or new competition comes on the market. Your site will fall behind if you don’t keep up
- Technology: Technology changes all the time. SEO you did one time when you site was built may be obsolete or even hurt you now. ie meta keywords are no longer “a thing”!
- Technical Updates: Dite speed, mobile friendly and secure connections are examples of technical changes that did not used to be a ranking factor but are now.
- Content Updates: Content gets stale over time. Google loves fresh content and knows the last time you have updated web page.
Continuous SEO efforts are necessary to adapt to these changes, monitor performance, and make adjustments to keep improving or maintain search engine rankings over time.